The first newspaper in White was called the White Enterprise and
its first issue was printed in 1884. In 1891, it was changed to
the White Chief. In 1900, the name was changed to the White Leader,
and remain that name until 1994, when it was changed to the Tri-City
Star. A name which signifies, three towns, of White, Toronto and
Astoria which makes up the Deubrook School system.
Past publishers have been: John R. McCormick, Albert S. Ford, W.S.
Harden, George Chase, John Adams, Will Holbein, J.R. Leonard, C.O.
Walker, H.H, Peters, Horace Lennox, Seth Thornton, Hillyer &
Scadden and Rachel Walradth became the owner in 1925. Mrs. Walradth
remained the owner/publisher, using hand-set type until 1946 when
she began using a linotype machine. She sold the paper at age 90
in 1969 to Robert V. Lundgren. Mr. Lundgren sold to Chuck Cecil
in 1985 with Mr. and Mrs. Christopher Schumacher purchasing the
paper in 1991.